Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Lombok's Getaway - Episode 1

Investigating missing pleasure boat? Tiresome!

The location is at Gili Trawangan? Woohooo, let's go!

It's early October 2011. Due to a missing boat, I traveled 3 days 2 nights free of charge to this lovely Lombok and the Gilis. This is my first trip there. Excited? You bet!
As I have traveled quite a lot, it becomes my habit to conduct a small research about the places I've never been there before. So, googling and some calls had me some confidences for a go.

Located in the province of Nusa Tenggara Barat, it only took me 2 hour flight from Jakarta. I arrived at the newly launched Lombok International Airport just before the lunch time.
It was only a day before this airport was officially operated. The old airport, Selaparang is no longer used as it too close to the main city of Mataram, the capital of this province. Meanwhile, the new airport is 90 minutes away from Mataram.

The new airport is not completely finished. There are still some construction works being carried out. The unusual view is that many local people around the airport come to look at the aircraft. This airport is new thing to many local people there.
People around airport come to see aircraft.

From the airport, I took a cab straight to Bangsal Harbour. The road taken were smooth and quite busy. To get to Bangsal Harbour, I had to pass through the busy city of Mataram and of course the incredible Senggigi beaches!

Amazing Sengigi Beach, with the Three Gilis on the distance.
The Senggigi beaches are breath-taking, clear sky, white sands, greenish-blue sea and dark green bushes made it all astonishing! After 2 hours relaxing drive, I arrived at Bangsal Harbour. This is a relatively small harbor used for transportation from Lombok mainland to the famous three Gilis (Trawangan, Meno, Air). Gili is local language for Island.

Several small wooden colorful boats with the lengh of 10 meters ready on the shore for transporting local people, convenience good, raw food and tourists for only IDR.10,000 per person..! (about USD.1.20)

Yes, tourists. International tourists seem to fall in love for the beautiful Three Gili. Bali is for amateurs, Gili is for the pros, or so they said. Lombok, especially the Three Gilis and Rinjani Mountain, have become international tourists attractions. Government involvement to promote this haven and to refine the infrastructure definitely is a must!

Colorful wooden boats waiting
While awaiting for my call to aboard the small wooden-boat, I had myself buying some snacks and waters for my one night stay at Gili Trawangan. This is to avoid outrageous price in the Gili as in Bali. Later on I realize that the prices are normal.

Boat trip from Bangsal Harbor to  Gili Trawangan took only 15 minutes. Although the Island is only 2 mile away, the wave is quite high. That's why the boat master must take precautions and sail his boat carefully.


End of Episode 1

No comments:

Post a Comment